Bakery Baker - Full-Time
Bakery Baker - Full-Time
JOB SUMMARY: To produce all bakery goods and other related products in an efficient manner within company policy; to ensure that the shift contributes to the financial best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain a neat, well‑groomed personal appearance at all times and observe company dress regulations; must wear an approved hat or hair net and uniform.
- Assist in receiving and unloading of merchandise; check and verify receiving to ensure that items listed on vendor invoices are all delivered; check products for quality, count, and condition.
- Keep all bakery ingredients or merchandise rotated in accordance with store policy and product code dates and always use the oldest products first (first in, first out).
- Observe shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by Bakery team leader.
- Control excessive use of utilities and water and observe sound conservation practices.
- Maintain general housekeeping as well as a regular cleaning program that meets the standards established for the department, including full compliance with all state and local health regulations.
- Check refrigeration equipment for proper performance at least once per shift.
- Immediately advise department manager of any maintenance or equipment problems.
- Use and maintain equipment in orderly manner; immediately advise department manager of any maintenance or equipment problems.
- Prepare all dough and scratch baking mixtures in accordance with established company or department procedures and recipes.
- Pan up frozen products; pan and round up bread.
- Mix, iced sweet rolls, sweet breads and cookies, add toppings.
- Load, unload oven. Know the proper temperatures and duration to bake all varieties of products.
- Operate mixer; run Moline sheeter; scale cakes and cupcakes.
- Assist in ordering and maintaining inventory control of ingredients and supplies.
- Handle damaged and spoiled products according to company policy and assist in controlling the level of damaged goods.
- Record invoice documents accurately on the receiving log and place signed invoice in the designated secured area.
- Accurately record markups and markdowns, in‑store use of merchandise and bad merchandise/spoilage write‑offs in accordance with company policies.
- Monitor product sales to ensure that production can be optimized to meet consumer demand and minimize the levels of unsold or stale bakery product.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations including full compliance with all applicable laws pertaining to safety, health and packaging requirements.
- Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
- Maintain good communications in the department and throughout the organization.
- Assist in training associates and coworkers when directed to do so.
- Notify department manager of personnel situations or policy violations having an adverse effect on department or store operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such action.
- Greet customers to our store when encountered or as applicable.
- Observe security standards by staying alert and aware of customer actions and behavior; report to manager or security any abnormal behavior.
- Must complete Axonify.
- Must comply with company compliance initiatives (example: production planning)
- Must use safety equipment required (example: PPE)
Follow safety rules.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school education or equivalent preferred, but not absolutely required.
- Minimum of three years of experience in full bakery operations and procedures; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Health department training required.
- Be able to calculate percentages and ratios when measuring ingredients in dough mixtures and recipes for varying quantities or amounts.
- Be able to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with supervisors, co‑workers and customers.
- Ability to read, write, and understand the English language effectively in order to read and understand is preferred:
- instructions for operating ovens, fryers, fire suppression system and other mechanical and electronic equipment
- company handbooks, policies and procedures
- other written job‑related documents including safety notices and other postings on company bulletin boards
- Ability to fill out forms and compose and write reports.
- Be thoroughly knowledgeable and familiar with the method and procedures for performing all baking tasks including safety and health considerations.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being drug‑free under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 50 pounds carrying bulk containers of flour, sugar, lard and other materials and frequently exert or lift moderate amounts of weight.
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus with sufficient visual acuity to examine vendor invoices, analyze reports and other written documents.
- Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve inaccessible items from overhead or elevated storage shelves and racks.
- Be able to perform routine cleaning and maintenance duties including lifting of both heavy and light amounts of weight.
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies.
- Be able to work with bakery ingredients and spices including finely powdered substances, meat products, and produce without suffering adverse allergic consequences that affect the ability of the employee to successfully perform the duties of the job.
- Be able to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and chemical fumes from common household cleaning agents such as ammonia during routine housekeeping duties.
- The work environment includes occasional exposure to refrigerated frozen food storage areas with temperatures as low as 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero.
- The work environment includes frequent exposure to heated ovens and high temperatures.
- The atmospheric environment may occasionally contain airborne particles of flour, spices, and other finely powdered ingredients and frequent aromatic odors.
- Typically, the noise level in the work environment is moderate.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
Truck drivers must be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being "drug‑free" under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug‑Free Workplace Act of 1988.” All other employees not subject to the U.S. Department of Transportation drug and alcohol rules and comparable state laws, must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test, which will not screen for non-psychoactive cannabis metabolites.
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work – In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban the Box Law).
Job Type : Part-time
Job Function : Customer Service