JOB SUMMARY: To provide excellent customer assistance in a prompt and diligent manner; to ensure that the work shift contributes to the financial best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Maintain a highly visible presence at the service counter and promptly greet customers as they arrive.
• Deliver excellent service by providing fast, friendly fulfillment of customer orders at the service counter.
• Promote sales by suggesting potential products of interest to customers.
• Wrap, weigh and price service counter items using first-in-first-out procedures and clean service cases.
• Assist with opening or closing of the department by sweeping, mopping, cleaning counters, removing trash and replenishing supplies.
• Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance and observe company dress regulations; must wear an approved hat or hair net.
• Comply with safety policies and procedures and ensure that all department personnel follow as well.
• Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations; adhere to all state, county and local weights and measure laws.
• Communicate temperature irregularities to department manager.
• Contribute to the control of department expenses and energy conservation practices; control excessive use of utilities and water and observe sound conservation practices.
• Contribute towards ensuring a favorable department image with customers through a clean, attractive and friendly department.
• Maintain general housekeeping and sanitation standards in compliance with store policy and state and local health regulations on a regular, ongoing basis.
• Use and maintain equipment in good working order; immediately advise store director or the key person in charge of any maintenance or equipment problems.
• Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior; report to manager or security any abnormal behavior.
• Maintain good communications with superiors and coworkers throughout the organization.
• Notify meat manager of personnel situations or policy violations affecting store operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such action.
• Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
• High School education preferred but not required.
• Successful completion of an apprenticeship/training program or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• (None Required)
• Be able to perform arithmetical calculations at the tenth grade level in order to calculate percentages, ratios and tare weight allowances, apply concepts of basic algebra; complete and submit required records and reports.
• Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with others.
• Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools; company handbooks, policies and procedures; and other written job related documents.
• Be fully knowledgeable and thoroughly familiar with all of the various cuts and types of meat products sold in the department including recommended uses or cooking methods and store/department procedures, policies and operations.
• Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being drug free under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988;
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
• Successful performance requires vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• Be able to lift up to 30 pounds when filling large orders from the service counter or an order that requires multiple packages of service counter meat to be handled simultaneously. Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve items stored in overhead racks such as trays and wrapping material; be able to sweep and mop floors and lift and carry out trash containers to be emptied in an outside bin.
• Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies and sufficient dexterity to disassemble, clean and adjust meat department equipment or to clear label jams, etc.
• Be able to work in an environment that has fresh fruits, vegetables, and latex gloves without negative allergic consequences that adversely affect performance.
• The work environment includes working on surfaces that can be wet and slippery.
• Typically, the noise level in the work environment is moderate; however, on occasion, it can be extremely noisy when the employee must enter the compressor/machine room to check on refrigeration equipment or when working with power tools and equipment.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work – In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban the Box Law).