Meat Cutter -Full Time
Meat Cutter -Full Time
JOB SUMMARY: To cut meat and prepare related products in the variety, size, quality and trim prescribed by company and department standards; to ensure that the work shift contributes to the financial best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe company dress regulations; must wear an approved hat or hair net.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Follow approved procedures for receiving, weighing and breaking down meat products.
- Assist in wrapping and labeling products as required.
- Assist in checking and verifying meat department receiving when required; take received and prepared products to refrigerated storage, shelf and display areas.
- Contribute to controlling freshness and product quality; handle damaged and spoiled products according to company policy and assist in controlling the level of damaged goods.
- Work the meat lugs daily, in order to reduce shrink and improve gross.
- Be familiar with invoice documents and able to confirm accuracy of item descriptions, sizes, quantities and pricing when assisting in receiving meat vendor product deliveries; record invoice documents accurately on the receiving log and place signed invoice in the designated secured area.
- Assist in keeping refrigerated cases and display shelves properly stocked and faced at all times according to product movement and department standards; code date and rotate all prepared cuts or product placed in temporary storage areas to ensure proper product rotation, quality and freshness.
- Maintain full compliance with all state and county government weights and measures laws.
- Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior; report to manager or security any abnormal behavior.
- Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
- Control excessive use of utilities and water, and observe sound conservation practices.
- Greet all customers and maintain good customer relations by providing prompt and courteous service or assistance.
- Ensure a favorable department image with customers by contributing to a clean, attractive and friendly department; maintain good housekeeping and sanitation standards in compliance with store policy and state and local health regulations.
- Maintain good communications with superiors and subordinates throughout the organization.
- Comply with safety policies and procedures and read all safety posters and bulletins.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order; immediately communicate temperature failure of cases/storage areas or of any maintenance or equipment problems to manager in charge.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school education preferred but not required.
- Successful completion of an apprenticeship/training program or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- (None required).
- Be able to perform arithmetical calculations at the tenth‑grade level in order to perform cutting tests, calculate percentages, ratios and tare weight allowances, apply concepts of basic algebra; verify vendor invoice charges and counts, and complete and submit required records and reports.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in English in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with others.
- Able to follow instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools company handbooks, policies and procedures and company handbooks, policies and procedures and other written job related documents including postings on company bulletin boards.
- Be fully knowledgeable and thoroughly familiar with all of the various cuts and types of meat products (including deli) sold in the department including recommended uses or cooking methods; and store/department procedures, policies and operations.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being drug‑free under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus and sufficient visual acuity to check and verify invoices and other written documents.
- Be able to climb a ladder to retrieve items stored in overhead racks such as trays and wrapping material; be able to sweep or mop floors and lift or carry out trash containers or tallow barrels to be emptied in an outside bin.
- Be able to exert or lift 70 pounds at least once per shift, carrying carcass beef and bulk cartons of other meat products as well as tallow trimmings, etc.
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies and sufficient dexterity to disassemble and clean meat department saws, grinders, and other equipment.
- Be able to work continuously in refrigerated coolers and cutting rooms and be able to endure working under temperature extremes (as low as 20®f below zero) in frozen food storage boxes for up to 40 minutes at a time wearing protective clothing; (taking breaks).
- Be able to work in an environment that has fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants and flowers without negative consequences.
- The work environment includes working on surfaces that can be wet and slippery.
- Typically, the noise level in the work environment is moderate; however, on occasion, it can be extremely noisy when the employee must enter the compressor/machine room to check on refrigeration equipment or when working with power tools and equipment.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work – In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban the Box Law).
Licenses & Certifications
Food Handler Certificate
Job Type : Full-Time
Job Function : Customer Service, General, Services